There be dragons!

Monday, January 9, 2012

Little Boys Lost

I was thinking today of fathers and their tendency to walk away from their sons; how many distractions, job, work, other adults, there are in the world to take a man away from "seeing" his kids.  I know my father suffered from this early on and mentioned it to me in my adult life - how sorry he was for it.  I hope I don't do that; but I know to some degree it is inevitable - or at least the temptation is always there.  Last night the boys and I all sat around watching a video game (I was playing) called "Portal 2".  We laughed, we thrilled at it together.  As a family we had a Chipotle dinner and blessed the house with holy water and "20+CMB+12" over the lintels in chalk singing "We Three Kings" together.  The boys purchased at Target a large Lego HALO spaceship and thrilled at putting it together up in their room.  I watched Minority Report with my daughter, and "The Fifth Element" and "Aeon Flux" - she enjoyed them.  Anyway, I guess I'm saying that I'm glad I don't walk away from my kids.  Against my moments of bad dad syndrome I couldn't imagine a world where I did that.  Reminds me of a poem by William Blake here:


William Blake

William Blake

The Little Boy Lost


'Father, father, where are you going?
O do not walk so fast!
Speak, father, speak to your little boy,
Or else I shall be lost.'


The night was dark, no father was there,
The child was wet with dew;
The mire was deep, and the child did weep,
And away the vapour flew.

No comments:

Post a Comment